Recycled Fashion Show

Featuring local consignment/thrift store items and/or items locally made from repurposed/reused materials. Would benefit local shops and/or local clothing designers, encourage consumers to buy "second hand", and raise awareness, and possibly funds, for SCOCO. Just a thought of something fun we could do!

You need to be a member of SCOCO Network to add comments!

Join SCOCO Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wednesday evenings are fine with me, too.
  • Wednesday evenings are fine with me. Just name the date.
  • I'm down to get together on any Wednesday.

R.C Ferris said:
    well I am going to the maker faire this wknd and will see plenty of recycled fashion lol wednesday evenings seem to be best for me for meetings. October could get crazy for me when is october fest? I have a major thing in Antioch(city wide yard sale and a week of reuse activities the week of the 9th-16th in Oct) for second chance week in antioch. we may be able to tie in to...

Anne Baker said:
    Hi R.C. Thanks for replying! I'd love to meet with you and anyone else who would like to help put this together. It should be fun! The sooner the better, I think, for meeting. Whatcha think?

R.C Ferris said:
    well I have a coat made from six pack rings......We also have space at the I've been framed shop for designer nights if need be.......I feel the whooshing sound of being sucked in......oh nooooooooo
    lol

Dumpster Diva
  • well I am going to the maker faire this wknd and will see plenty of recycled fashion lol wednesday evenings seem to be best for me for meetings. October could get crazy for me when is october fest? I have a major thing in Antioch(city wide yard sale and a week of reuse activities the week of the 9th-16th in Oct) for second chance week in antioch. we may be able to tie in to...

Anne Baker said:
    Hi R.C. Thanks for replying! I'd love to meet with you and anyone else who would like to help put this together. It should be fun! The sooner the better, I think, for meeting. Whatcha think?

R.C Ferris said:
    well I have a coat made from six pack rings......We also have space at the I've been framed shop for designer nights if need be.......I feel the whooshing sound of being sucked in......oh nooooooooo
    lol

Dumpster Diva
  • Sources of contestants:

The Art Departments at DVC, LMC and CCC
    www.dvc.edu, www.losmedanos.edu, www.contracosta.edu

DVC retained a guy named Dr. Donald Averill who was/is involved with the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (http://fidm.edu/) in LA. Maybe FIDM has alumni in the Bay Area. Maybe Dr. Averill has contacts or ideas.
    http://www.dvc.edu/org/administration/presidents-office/presidentme...

The Art Institute of San Francisco
    http://www.artinstitutes.edu/sanfrancisco/Academics/Default.aspx?di...
    My son graduated from AI ... he had a girlfriend in the Fashion program. Their program did a trashy show in SF. She was very supportive of a show out here (she's since graduated, too).

West Valley College, San Jose
    http://www.westvalley.edu/fd/

Directory of Fashion Design Schools in California
    http://www.design-training.com/fashion-design/California/

Also ... the Earth Clubs at local high schools (just for fun):
    Alhambra HS in Martinez, California HS in San Ramon

And ... the Environmental Studies Academies:
    Briones ES Academy in Martinez
    Env. Studies Academy at Pinole Valley HS in Pinole
  • Hi R.C. Thanks for replying! I'd love to meet with you and anyone else who would like to help put this together. It should be fun! The sooner the better, I think, for meeting. Whatcha think?

R.C Ferris said:
    lol

Dumpster Diva
  • well I have a coat made from six pack rings......We also have space at the I've been framed shop for designer nights if need be.......I feel the whooshing sound of being sucked in......oh nooooooooo
    lol

Dumpster Diva
  • I agree - let's do this in lots of places! Considerations: key differences between an event like Art on the Main and an event like Oktoberfest are 1) a fashion show needs a big cheering audience to really be fun, 2) there's a much higher concentration of people at a stage-oriented event like Oktoberfest, 3) stage-oriented events typically have a sound system already available. I think the recycled sculpture contest/exhibition would be ideal for the art events - this lends itself to a more stroll-around type of event.
  • Awesome! Thanks Mark and it was a pleasure to meet you and to check out the Concord happenings. What fun and what a great audience for all of this. I'd love it if in conjunction with Sustainable Concord, we have at least a grassroots style table at at least some of their summer music events. I'd be happy to show up and help.

But anyways, thanks for all the great leads and I'm excited to work on this. For now though, time to work at my "real" job. Oh yeah, and in response to Cynthia's comment, it would be cool to perhaps replicate this fashion show at the events she suggested.

Mark Westwind said:
    Anne, Tina and I toured Todos Santos Plaza in Concord this evening to scope out the scene for hosting a trashy fashion show AND creating a "sustainable sculpture garden" at Concord's Oktoberfest event scheduled for Oct. 17th at the Plaza. Check out the details at www.CommunityConcerts.com

We met with Kathy Ocean, the event producer, who was enthusiastically supportive. It's a go!! Anne is willing to take on this project (all or some). I'll help and I'd really like to get RC and Trashy Trish involved. Anne - maybe you can contact RC and make that connection. Tina or Sheila should have her contact info.

And, what if threw in an art contest for SCOCO's new logo? We could invite submissions, then post the entries around the park and solicit comments and votes for the best one (but maybe with no commitment to actually use it, though). I think this too would be fun and engage the public. In future years we can have contests for other graphic imagery, thematic or functional.

So, I envision these three events (the trashy fashion show, the sustainable sculpture garden and the "Art of Sustainability" art show - all with associated contests) becoming centerpieces of the Oktoberfest event, so let's think as creatively as we can! "Green Art, Family Fun" ... the primary purpose (beyond fun) is to communicate key messages to the public in a highly consumable, non-confrontational, apolitical way ... and connect with their kids 'cause they're the best channel for change. Think: The Nut Tree's annual scarecrow contest (every October in Vacaville) with recycled fashion and art instead. It's all about creating the flair!

These events will be presented as SCOCO's first project under "The Art of Sustainability" initiative.

So ...

Sustainable Contra Costa
    presents
    1st Annual
    (name of the "trashy fashion show"),
    (name of the recycled "sculpture garden" and contest),
    and (name of art show and contest)
    at
    Concord's Oktoberfest
    October 17th, X to Y pm

Needed:

Names for each event?
    Categories for prizes (lots)?
    Prizes?
    Promotion?
    Process?
    People?

I invite you to brainstorm! Attached is the fashion show flyer from 2008's Earth Day Festival (RC et al) and an adaptation of that show's forms (credits to RC et al for their ground work).
  • Anne, Tina and I toured Todos Santos Plaza in Concord this evening to scope out the scene for hosting a trashy fashion show AND creating a "sustainable sculpture garden" at Concord's Oktoberfest event scheduled for Oct. 17th at the Plaza. Check out the details at www.CommunityConcerts.com

We met with Kathy Ocean, the event producer, who was enthusiastically supportive. It's a go!! Anne is willing to take on this project (all or some). I'll help and I'd really like to get RC and Trashy Trish involved. Anne - maybe you can contact RC and make that connection. Tina or Sheila should have her contact info.

And, what if threw in an art contest for SCOCO's new logo? We could invite submissions, then post the entries around the park and solicit comments and votes for the best one (but maybe with no commitment to actually use it, though). I think this too would be fun and engage the public. In future years we can have contests for other graphic imagery, thematic or functional.

So, I envision these three events (the trashy fashion show, the sustainable sculpture garden and the "Art of Sustainability" art show - all with associated contests) becoming centerpieces of the Oktoberfest event, so let's think as creatively as we can! "Green Art, Family Fun" ... the primary purpose (beyond fun) is to communicate key messages to the public in a highly consumable, non-confrontational, apolitical way ... and connect with their kids 'cause they're the best channel for change. Think: The Nut Tree's annual scarecrow contest (every October in Vacaville) with recycled fashion and art instead. It's all about creating the flair!

These events will be presented as SCOCO's first project under "The Art of Sustainability" initiative.

So ...

Sustainable Contra Costa
    presents
    1st Annual
    (name of the "trashy fashion show"),
    (name of the recycled "sculpture garden" and contest),
    and (name of art show and contest)
    at
    Concord's Oktoberfest
    October 17th, X to Y pm

Needed:

Names for each event?
    Categories for prizes (lots)?
    Prizes?
    Promotion?
    Process?
    People?

I invite you to brainstorm! Attached is the fashion show flyer from 2008's Earth Day Festival (RC et al) and an adaptation of that show's forms (credits to RC et al for their ground work).

TrashyFashionShow-2008.pdf

SCOCO Eco-Art Contest V1.docx

SCOCO Logo Contest V1.docx

Community Concerts - Quality Music Close to Home
    Community Concerts - Quality Music Close to Home
This reply was deleted.