Thank you to everyone who participated and made Contra Costa's first 350 Home & Garden Challenge an amazing success. We nearly tripled our goal of 350 actions - there were 974 actions registered!

Check out the photos and story of our demonstration weeds-to-food project!

We are so grateful for all of our partners, sponsors, and participants who are helping to create a more Sustainable Contra Costa!!!

You need to be a member of SCOCO Network to add comments!

Join SCOCO Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It looks great, Tina!  Everyone should try sheet mulching.

• At my own house, I decided to try sheet-mulching where we had out-of-control weeds. It was my mother's day present to myself...husband Trent didn't want "anything to do with it" since he didn't know what to expect. Using the simple steps and video from Kat Weiss and Jillian Steinberger, I felt confident to go for it....

Before:

8096022492?profile=original8096022660?profile=original 

8096022287?profile=original

8095982696?profile=original8096022856?profile=original8096022300?profile=originalWOW - what a difference! They say those weeds that were there before are gone for good. I skimped on the cardboard in a few areas (I had 4000 square feet to cover and I could only make so many "cardboard shopping" trips to Costco) and have pulled three little weeds since Mother's Day.

Lessons learned:

• I was told to give the trees some breathing space so I avoided cardboard ~2' around the trunk
    • Remember to wet down the cardboard well before spreading compost and/or mulch
    • Costco, spa stores, bike and cabinetry shops are great sources of huge, flat, clean cardboard
    • Easy to plant - just cut a hole in the cardboard and plant before the mulch goes in, or, I am planting gradually after mulching

Sheet-mulching was a great decision for our yard!

This reply was deleted.