This holiday season, consider giving experiences instead of stuff to your friends and family!
Not only can "experience" gifts be more environmentally-friendly (less resources used to manufacture, package and transport items that will probably end up in the landfill after a few uses), but studies have shown that giving experiences instead of toys can boost the recipients' intelligence and happiness. Plus they are often more thoughtful and meaningful!
Here are some of our favorite gift ideas:
- Arcade adventure - check out this Pinball Gallery & Arcade in Concord for a fun afternoon!
- Ice skating passes - we've got lots of local rinks to choose from: Walnut Creek, Concord, Brentwood, and more!
- Movie passes for two - grab one of the latest flicks with your friend
- An afternoon at the batting cages or driving range
- Museum tickets - check out the Contra Costa Library's Discover & Go program for free or low-cost tickets!) - check out Lindsay Wildlife Experience, The Exploratorium, Chabot Space Center, and more!
- Campground for a weekend - plan a camping weekend with a friend!
- Art classes - whether it's a casual class or drop-in open studio or a specific type of class like Ceramics through your city community center, get creative this season!
- Yoga or other workout classes for a week or month
- Chocolate-making workshop (Rachel Dunn Chocolates in Concord is a classic)
- Sponsor a fun run - have a friend that loves to walk or run? Even better, buy the pass for two and now you have an exercise buddy for the new year. Or try a trail race to incorporate beautiful scenery!
- Cooking classes - the gift that keeps on giving!
- Massage - who doesn't love the gift of pampering?
- Sustainable Living Workshop classes - composting, beekeeping and more!
- Tickets to a local sporting game or concert
- Donate to a charity they care about, in their name
If you do decide to gift something that needs to be wrapped, check out these creative zero-waste ways to wrap your gift beautifully without excess waste!