Spring is in full swing, and this May we are celebrating Bike Month! Cycling is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, get in some exercise, and commute in a low carbon way.
The annual Bike to Wherever Day (formerly Bike to Work Day) will be on May 20, 2022. It's the Bay Area's biggest day for bicycling - pledge to ride to get all the details, find your nearest energizer station, win prizes, and get ready for the big day! When you participate, you show our cities that bikes count.
Check out the BTWD Energizer Station Map to see where you can bike to pick up refreshments and a BTWD tote bag on May 20! Contra Costa locations include multiple stations in Walnut Creek, Concord, Antioch, Lafayette, Richmond, El Cerrito, Martinez and more. Come visit us at SCOCO's Energizer Station at the Pleasant Hill BART station from 8 - 10 a.m!
This year, there will be two extra-special "hubs"/activities in Contra Costa on May 20:
- Concord Hub - Iron Horse Trail & Lisa Ln, 4pm): co-hosted by Bike Concord. Tacos and more fun!
- Richmond Hub - Richmond-San Rafael Bridge Ride, 7 - 11:30 AM. Led by certified instructors from the League of American Bicyclists and MTC.
Has it been a while since you've biked? An easy way to remember what to check on your bike before heading out, is the "ABC Quick Check":
- A - Air: Check the air in your tires. Inflate to the pressure listed on the side of the tire. If there's less than 1/4" tread, it's time for a new set.
- B - Brakes: Brake levers should stop short of reaching the handlebar when pulled. Brake pads should be clean, straight, and contact the rims. Check coaster brakes by spinning the back wheel and pushing the pedal backward.
- C - Chain: The chain should move freely, be free of rust, and lightly oiled. Avoid solvents like WD40 on your chain - use a lubricant instead.
- Quick - Quick-release levers: If your bike has quick-release levers, make sure they are all closed.
- Check - Give the bike a gentle bounce, looking and listening for anything loose. Take a slow, brief ride to check that your bike seat and handlebars are adjusted to the right height.
Are you a beginner cyclist trying to get comfortable commuting on your bike, or a skilled cyclist looking to brush up on bike safety? Bike East Bay hosts wonderful Bicycle Education Classes - including online webinar and outdoor, on-bike sessions, including topics such as:
- Urban Cycling 101 for Adults & Teens
- Theft Prevention
- Adult Learn-to-Ride Classes
- One Hour Workshops (bike mechanics, riding after dark, etc.)
- Family Cycling Workshops - for parents and kids to attend together
Don't forget to join our Cleaner Contra Costa Challenge and take action to "Bike, Walk, Skateboard or Unicycle" to earn 830 points and get more information about gearing up, planning yuor trip, being safe, and maintaining your gear!
More bike resources: