Protecting Clean Water

Each year, tons of harmful and dangerous pollutants, bacteria and trash are carried through our neighborhoods and enter local creeks, reservoirs, lakes, the Delta and Bay. As water drains from streets, parking lots, and lawns, pollutants are picked up and enter the drainage system through thousands of catch basins throughout Contra Costa County. From there, this polluted water flows through a system of pipes, channels and creeks straight into the Delta and Bay.

The Contra Costa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District has teamed up with all 19 of the incorporated cities and towns and Contra Costa County, in a cooperative effort to prevent water pollution. This joint effort is known as the Contra Costa Clean Water Program ("Clean Water Program").

The Clean Water Program is now tasked with implementing new State and Federal clean water standards. If local creeks, reservoirs, lakes, the Delta and Bay are not cleaned up, local communities may be forced to pay large fines and will be subject to third-party lawsuits. As a result, the Clean Water Program is proposing the 2012 Community Clean Water Initiative, a spring 2012 property owner election, to improve local water quality and protect our communities from toxic and dangerous pollutants.

The Proposed "2012  Community Clean Water Initiative" will:

SouthSanRamonCreek.png South San Ramon Creek

• Protect local sources of clean drinking water from contamination and pollution
  • Remove harmful and dangerous pollutants, toxic chemicals, and potentially infectious bacteria and viruses from our local creeks, reservoirs, lakes, the Delta and Bay
  • Capture, clean and use rainwater to irrigate local parks and landscaping. This "rainwater harvesting" will also decrease the impacts of polluted stormwater and urban runoff on our local creeks, lakes, reservoirs, the Delta and Bay
  • Prevent illegal or toxic discharges from industrial and commercial properties
  • Provide other clean water and pollution control services and facilities required by Federal and State clean water regulations
  • Keep trash and pollution away from local shorelines, creeks, reservoirs, and the Delta and Bay

Strict Fiscal Safeguards

This measure REQUIRES Strict Fiscal Controls:

• Funding from the proposed Clean Water Initiative can ONLY be used for local clean water and pollution control services and facilities in Contra Costa County.
  • ALL funds must stay local. 100% of the funding will be used in the individual community where it was generated. (i.e. 100% return-to-source)
  • Independent Citizens Oversight and mandatory audits will ensure funds are spent properly.
  • This measure will last 10 years. This funding cannot be extended without a new vote of local property owners.
HappyValley.png Happy Valley

Election Schedule

• This is a property-owner election defined by and subject to California State Constitution Article XIII D.
  • The Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors held a Public Hearing on February 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, Room 107, 651 Pine Street, Martinez, CA to receive public input. The outcome was to move forward with property owner election.
  • Property owners should receive their ballots by mail the week of February 21, 2012.
  • Completed ballots can be mailed OR hand-delivered to the County Clerk of the Board of the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors, 651 Pine Street, 1st Floor, Room 106, Martinez, California.  To count in this election, ALL completed ballots must be received by the County on or before April 6, 2012 at 5:00 p.m.

For more information about the 2012 Community Clean Water Initiative, please choose one of the following:

Municipal Regional Stormwater NPDES Permit

Public Hearing Notice Mailer

Informational Mailer 1

Informational Mailer 2

Board of Supervisors Meeting           Documents - December 06, 2012

Board of Supervisors Meeting           Documents - February 07, 2012

For more information on the Contra Costa Clean Water Program, its services, the proposed 2012 Community Clean Water Initiative, or this ballot proceeding please contact: (925) 313-2360 or visit: www.cccleanwater.org

You need to be a member of SCOCO Network to add comments!

Join SCOCO Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for posting the info, Lois.  I'm happy to support this initiative and pay my share too.  I've sent my ballot in last week.

• Thank you for sharing all this great information.  I hope our community will support this important measure to help protect this precious resource -  I'm happy to pay my share!

This reply was deleted.