Sustainable Contra Costa (SCOCO), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, educates, connects and inspires Contra Costa individuals and organizations to embrace a sustainable lifestyle. We are a community of citizens, educators, innovators, and organizations working together to create ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, and socially just communities for all. Our work is based on the 10 principles of One Planet Living and we are committed to helping achieve the global Sustainable Development Goals through local actions in the greater Contra Costa region.
The Community Organizer works with local community and student groups and business associations to implement programs, services, and educational events to reduce carbon emissions in Contra Costa, particularly by driving participation in the Cleaner Contra Costa Challenge.
The Cleaner Contra Costa Challenge is a collaborative initiative to spur climate action and educate people about the practical solutions to cleaner, healthier, low-impact lifestyles. Our online tool allows people to measure their carbon footprint, find local resources, create teams, and track individual and collective progress.
- Plan and run meetings in-person and online; set the goal and agenda; facilitate dialogue and keep to the task at hand
- Identify and engage youth leadership and civic groups and support their launch of “Clean Teams”, which members meet regularly to connect, share, and support each other’s efforts
- Develop and give inspiring and engaging presentations online and in-person
- Track and report on outreach activities; follow up on next steps
- Plan events and staff tables at street fairs, festivals, farmer's markets, and other public events. Schedule and train volunteers to work at tabling events
Required Skills and Attributes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confident and enthusiastic demeanor with staff, students, and in public settings
- A team player who enjoys working collaboratively and independently
- Personable and a natural networker
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and effectively with individuals from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- Knowledgeable and passionate about Bay Area Environmental and Education fields
This position provides on-the-job experience and substantial professional benefits including:
- Working with a unique local environmental non-profit organization and with fun, spirited and dedicated team members who really appreciate each other
- Connecting with innovative and pioneering leaders in the field of sustainability
- Improving outreach, education and communication skills
- Valuable job networking
Compensation and hours
Hourly pay $20-25, depending on experience.
This is a part-time position, typically 10-20 hours per week.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com, with “Community Organizer” as the subject. Please indicate in your cover letter why this position suits your skills, interests and experience. For more info, please check out our website: www.sustainablecoco.org.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!