Looking for fun, local outdoor activities this winter? There are many opportunities in Contra Costa County to get outdoors and enjoy what our beautiful cities have to offer. Whether it’s a race, kayaking trip, or a community cleanup event, it will feel great to get out there and do something! Check out the list below for some fun activities.
- Get in the holiday spirit at the San Ramon Bah Humbug! 5k on December 6th! Participants can walk or run, and will receive a holiday t-shirt and ornament. There will also be a costume contest for best dressed! Participants can also help out the community as they’re requested to bring a can of food to donate to the Contra Costa Food Bank at registration. Interested in participating? Click here for registration information.
- Want to create your own holiday decorations while learning about natural and cultural history of festive flora such as fir and bay laurel? Then consider signing up for the East Bay Regional Park District Natural Holiday Decorations class which will be located at the Tilden Nature Area on Sunday, December 7th. To find out more and to register, click here. Limited spaces are available.
- Prefer your adventures to be on water? Consider signing up for East Bay Regional Park District’s “Kayaking the King Tides” experience. The activity is located at Big Break Regional Shoreline on December 22nd, and the King Tides (which are the highest tides of the year) will give you a glimpse of how sea level can change our shorelines. More information can be found here. Limited spaces are available.
- Antioch’s 57th installment of the Neighborhood Cleanup Program is happening on December 6th. Volunteer participation will help make a difference in the community and improve the quality of life in the neighborhoods. If you work or live in Antioch and would like to volunteer to help create a trash-free community, check out the flyer for more information.
- Looking for a more challenging running opportunity this winter? Sign up for the Walnut Creek Half Marathon! The race takes place on December 13th and starts in front of Civic Park. If you’re not quite ready to run a half marathon on your own, you can sign up for the Half Marathon Relay, 5k Run, and kids can sign up for the Kids Fun Run. Registration and additional information can be found here.
For other holiday activities, including tree-lighting ceremonies, visit your city’s community events calendar online. Click here for links to all city websites in Contra Costa County. For a complete calendar of East Bay Regional Park District activities, click here.