Contra Costa County and the San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority are seeking committed residents to help shape sustainability policies and make recommendations on funding wetland restoration projects around the Bay.

First, Contra Costa County's new Sustainability Commission is accepting applications. Supervisor John Gioia proposed the formation of this commission to encourage greater resident input into the county's sustainability policies.

For more information regarding the Sustainability Commission and to get an application, please visit the Commission's website.

Commission members will play a vital role in advising county staff and the Board of Supervisors on the development and implementation of the County's sustainability programs, how to enhance equity and fairness in these programs, and better engaging County residents and businesses on sustainability issues.

We are seeking 5 at-large members from around the county -- Two representing community groups whose mission includes sustainability and/or environmental issues, two representing commercial groups whose business focuses on sustainability and/or environmental issues, and one representing environmental justice issues and who lives in a disadvantaged community. In addition, each Supervisor will appoint a resident from their District.

At-large Application are due by Monday, December 19, 2016 at 5 p.m. Applicants are encouraged to include a resume and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for serving.

Also, the San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority is recruiting Advisory Committee members from now until December 15.

If interested in serving on this important regional body, please obtain your application here.

The San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority is a regional government agency charged with collecting and allocating resources for the restoration, enhancement, protection, and enjoyment of wetlands and wildlife habitat in the San Francisco Bay and along its shoreline.

The Authority was created by the California legislature in 2008 and I currently serve as Vice-Chair of its Board. Our Board placed Measure AA on the June 2016 ballot, and it was approved by about 70% of Bay Area voters. It raises $20 million per year to fund wetland and wildlife habitat projects. The Advisory Committee will develop recommendations on which projects to fund.

You need to be a member of SCOCO Network to add comments!

Join SCOCO Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tyler, SCOCO-

I am urging all the leaders in SCOCO to please put in their applications for the County's Sustainability Commission.  I have personally asked Tina to seriously consider a leader role in the Commission.  I look at SCOCO's 9 years of work and accomplishment as the foundation that a Sustainabily Commission can build on.  There's 10 member seats to be filled and wouldn't it be exciting if a majority of the seats were given to SCOCO members.  I have decided to come out of retirement and if chosen will dedicate the next two years in guiding and helping the Commission get started.

In Solidarity,

Bob Joe

This reply was deleted.