Sustainable Contra Costa has an immediate opening for a Program Coordinator, an independent contractor position.
Under the guidance of the Programs Manager, the Programs Coordinator will plan, implement,
track and administer education, outreach and volunteer programs, and represent Sustainable
Contra Costa within the community with the highest possible level of inspiration and
● Work with Program Manager to develop and implement work plans including defining
goals, tasks, timelines and outreach activities.
● Coordinate skill-building and educational presentations, workshops, and demonstration
projects, community engagement; and networking.
● Coordinate the Sustainable Contra Costa and Green Building Awards judging process.
● Coordinate outreach: Communications Committee; media; volunteers; presenters and
educators; agendas and talking points; materials and logistics.
● Leverage synergies between municipal contracts and SCOCO Programs.
● Complete evaluations to quantify program metrics and outcomes.
● Track and report on program and contract-related activities.
● Identify and maintain relationships with key community partners.
● Support organization-wide programs and events, as needed (e.g., Contra Costa
Sustainability & Green Building Awards Gala).
● Represent SCOCO at community events and meetings.
Required Skills and Attributes
● BA. or B.S. degree in Environmental Education/Studies/Science or similar area of study.
● Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience developing, implementing and evaluating outreach and education programs.
● Confident public speaker with ability to generate enthusiasm for SCOCO’s work.
● Excellent interpersonal, group facilitation, networking and collaboration skills.
● Ability to engage with government and business partners in a professional manner.
● Excellent project coordination skills and ability to delegate tasks effectively.
● Detail-oriented,self- starter with the ability to juggle a diverse array of tasks to a high
● Ability to work well with tight timelines, shifting priorities and diverse teams.
● Proven ability to take initiative and solve problems.
● Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, server-based systems and databases.
● Integrity, credibility and a commitment to, and passion for, SCOCO’s mission.
Preferred Skills and Attributes
● Knowledge of Permaculture design and concepts.
● Knowledge of water conservation, stormwater management and watershed
● Experience with home-scale gardening and food production.
● Well-developed network of contacts (community, business, municipal, school, etc.)
within Contra Costa County.
Perks of Working for Sustainable Contra Costa
● Opportunity to “be the change” in your own community
● Casual attire and attitude (with professional meetings, on occasion)
● Grow your network while you grow your conservation, ecological and sustainability skills
and knowledge base
The position is a part-time (approximately 10-20 hours per week) independent contractor, based in Contra Costa. Compensation begins at $23 per hour.
The position is open immediately.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com