Sustainable Contra Costa (SCOCO), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, educates, connects and inspires Contra Costa individuals and organizations to embrace a sustainable lifestyle. We are a community of citizens, educators, innovators, and organizations working together to create ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, and socially just communities for all. Our work is based on the 10 principles of One Planet Living and we are committed to helping achieve the global Sustainable Development Goals through local actions in the greater Contra Costa region.
The Community Engagement Coordinator (CEC) works with local schools, civic groups, and business associations to implement programs, services and educational events to reduce carbon emissions in Contra Costa.
- Engage youth leadership and civic groups and support their launch of campaigns, which will encourage individuals and households to change their behaviors in ways that that will improve the health of our environment.
- Assist groups to register their commitments and track actions in an online portal.
- Work with small groups of students in school and afterschool program settings to plan and implement the campaigns.
- Lead in-class presentations and hands-on activities using a sustainability focused curricula.
- Work with teachers, administrators, partners, community members and students on a weekly basis throughout the year to further project goals
- Track student, project and individual results and data in information systems
Required Skills and Attributes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confident and enthusiastic demeanor with staff, students and in public settings
- A team player who enjoys working collaboratively and independently.
- Personable and a natural networker
- Must be able to clear a background check and TB test
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and effectively with individuals from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- BA/BS in Environmental Studies, Science, Environmental Education or similar area of study strongly preferred.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about Bay Area Environmental and Education fields
- Experience delivering hands-on, engaging and active education
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others
- Bilingual in Spanish
- CPR/First Aid
- Experience using Google Suite (Google Docs, Gmail, Calendar, etc.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Salesforce experience (strongly preferred)
- Comfortable and eager to learn new technology
- Must have reliable vehicle, clean driving record and proof of insurance for regular work-related travel throughout the greater East Bay. Work is focused mainly in San Pablo, Richmond, Antioch or Walnut Creek.
- Travel to and from schools, external meetings and field outings averages 1-2 days a week
Sustainable Contra Costa Offers
- This is a part time position at 20 hours a week
- Pay is hourly at $20 per hour
- Professional development opportunities including trainings, mentoring, and networking
- Flexible working environment including work from home
- Travel reimbursement is at standard government rate (currently $0.575/mile)
Send your resume and a cover letter to Doug Bleakly at Doug@sustainablecoco.org, with “Community Engagement Coordinator” as the subject. Please indicate in your cover letter why this position suits your skills, interests and experience. For more info, please check out our website: www.sustainablecoco.org, or email email@example.com THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!