It’s officially December, which means shopping season is ramping up. Why not forego the mall this year, and consider alternatives to the typical holiday gifts? Check out the list below for some ideas:
- Campground Reservation - Enjoy the great outdoors!
- Reusable Lunch Kit – Some kit ideas: Stainless steel or glass container, reusable fork or chopsticks, cloth napkin, a reusable straw, reusable water bottle/ to-go coffee mug, and a cloth bag or lunch pail covers all the bases. Skip the items they already have.
- Annual Park Pass – Purchase a pass to our National parks, and explore the sites right in California and across the US. Prefer to stay local? Purchase a local trail pass such as the EBMUD trail use permit or East Bay Regional Park District membership.
- Tickets to a Lecture Series – See what lectures local colleges or event centers are hosting. The Commonwealth Club has some interesting lectures in SF.
- Rain Barrel - Capture water to support plants during dry periods.
- Museum Pass – We’re lucky enough to live close to various museums such as Lindsay Wildlife Experience in Walnut Creek, The DeYoung Museum, and more.
- Movie Tickets – There always seems to be more movies released during the holidays too!
- Classes – Whether it’s dancing, cooking, boxing, art, or one of our sustainability workshops, it’s fun to try something new! Local studios, gyms, etc., may have options to purchase one or a series of classes. Take a look at Sustainable Contra Costa’s upcoming workshops here.
- LED lightbulb set – Help your friends or family make the switch with a gift that keeps on giving.
- A dinner – Reservations to a favorite restaurant, or the promise of a home-cooked meal.
Have any alternative gift ideas? Please share in the comments!
Oh Happy Day blog
Photo by Julian Bialowas on Unsplash